Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Garfield Goose!!!


For most of my life, the existence of this puppet was a question. The show was real, I knew that- but no one had ever seen the toy. And in the years before the internet- there was no proof that I could find that a garfield goose puppet was ever made.
I had this puppet when I was three. I think he must have been new for me to love him so much. I do remember laying on the floor and talking to him, I remember that he was my best thing. And I remember when our house burned down, he was the only thing that I worried about. The replacement that was promised turned out to be impossible to get, as I recently learned- there were only a few ever made and they were out of production. I bet I bothered my parents for a good five years. (but it was much longer before I got over the loss. )

When ebay came on the scene, I started searching, expecting to buy the first one that I saw. It took two years of searching every few days before I saw the first garfield goose puppet- Finally proving that I had not imagined him. His price skyrocketed out of my price range on the first day- and I think that he sold for around a thousand dollars. This is only the fourth garfield goose that I have seen on ebay in 10 years- and it is by far the best one. Has his crown- and the packaging! I am not going to bid .... but have scooped up some good pictures for my Garfield folder. And let me tell you- it sure makes me happy to consider bringing Garfield home!

And Dad, if you are reading... You did promise to find another one for me. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Besides be such a great clown, puppeteer and friend...Roy was
also a talented visual artist.

There are a set of originals
he did of Garfield Goose that
is hanging in Marshall's (Wizzo)
bathroom.

When I visit the house in the
next few weeks, I'll take some
photos of them.

When Roy passed there was some
nice ephemerra of his days
playing Garfield at his wake.

I have many fond memories of
spending time with him...

Lori Kiergaard said...

Thanks Francis,

I forgot that you know all those guys. It must have been great growing up with them.