Monday, February 25, 2008

The Economics of a Studio


It is snowing again tonight. We are supposed to get another 7 inches or so. The snow cover has stayed around all winter, something that does not happen every year, and it is so dark..... we are quite tired of it here.

So maybe it is just part of my winter funkiness- but I am thinking that even though it is a great time for painters educationally, it is a crappy time for painters economically. People are not buying paintings when they are having a hard time paying to heat their homes, put gasoline in their cars and keeping groceries around. The uncertain economic future makes the purchase of art seem frivolous.

Everyone tells me the same thing, that sales are down. I know that I sure would like to sell a few more paintings then I do. With studio rent and the cost of materials, it is getting harder and harder to make ends meet.

No answers on the horizon- I suspect that the economy will get worse before it gets better. But March is around the corner- that always cheers me up.

Love, Lori

No comments: